August 24, 2009

Knitalatte + Kate Slater + Kris's Color Stripes



Hello! Welcome to a new alphabetical week!

Did you have a lovely weekend? I hope so. x

We had a great weekend, pretty much filled with football. Our youngest son's club prize-giving was on Friday night - he won a trophy! - most improved player - the look on his gorgeous 4 year old face was priceless!! Definitely a proud parent moment : )

Then we had both the boys at football again on Sunday, with our oldest son winning player of the day, and.... getting selected for the 6th grade All Stars team, he was so chuffed and has been excitedly talking about it ever since - Steve and I have been glowing with pride. Celebrations all round at our house!

Are you ready for K? Let's get started...

Knitalatte

So what does a medical doctor with a degree in Biochemistry and a doctorate in Synthetic Organic Chemistry of Natural Products do in her spare time? - Craft of course!!

Not just any craft - wonderful, hand stitched, beautiful craft!

Have you seen the work of
Margie Oomen from Knitalatte? If not, you should! Margie is a self taught crafter who's passion for nature speaks loudly through her work, her gorgeous crochet stones are simply beautiful and her ability to capture life through her photography is superb.

I suggest you make yourself a regular over at the Margie's Knitalatte
store so you know when you can purchase a stone of your own - they sell out so quickly it pays to be in the know...

Margie's favourite quote from Frank Lloyd Wright sums her work up perfectly -


"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."


(images from Margie Oomen)

NOTES:
visit Margie's
store
read Margie's blog
read a great interview with Margie at
Lou Lou and Oscar

Kate Slater

As a recent graduate of Kingston University, Kate Slater's mixed media work is sought after by a variety of commercial and personal clients. As you know I have a 'thing' for mixed media work and I am eagerly awaiting the completion of Kate's first children's book that will be published by Anderson Press.

Kate's website is definitely worth a visit as it contains a huge catalogue of work that spans advertising, posters, book illustration and more... then a trip over to her store will enable you to purchase your very own piece of Kate Slater goodness - enjoy!

P.S isn't this first print "Bears love cakes" the cutest thing???

(images from Kate Slater)

NOTES:
visit Kate's
website
read Kate's
blog
visit Kate's
store

What I love most is the extension I get visually from Kris's combination of images and their coordinating colour palette. Pictures that I would usually just look at are now studied to see the colours Kris has highlighted, I see the images in a completely different light, and as I said before - I love it!

I am concerned that my addiction to this blog and this new way of seeing things will turn into me seeing everything in colour palette strips - and memorizing pantone colour codes!

If I start describing things in pantone colour codes - you will tell me to stop wont you??!!

Have fun!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Are you enjoying this new Blog Wonderland slot? It would be good to know if you think I am on the right (or wrong) track with it - how are you finding it? do you enjoy the extra bit of reading? Am I sharing anything new or is it all 'old news'? Any feedback would be wonderful : )

Have a fabulous day!

See you tomorrow for L! xxoo

1 comment:

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Oh, I am so enjoying it! I love kris's stripes, a daily read for me, and now I've just discovered margie oomen. Gorgeous work - thanks!